CampbellReith was responsible for the major refurbishment of the Royal College of Art buildings at the Victoria and Albert Museum, which were originally constructed in 1862.
The project involved the installation of three new mezzanine levels to achieve an increase in the available space, for the Museum’s Conservation Collections and Research Departments. Structural works also included new lifts and stair / toilet cores.
The practice undertook detailed historical researches and structural survey investigations of the site.
Discussions were held with the District Surveyor to agree enhanced design adopted for buildings of this era. As a result, the measures of structural strengthening were kept to a minimum.
A new building to house the V&A’s Sculpture and Textile Conservation workshop also formed part of the overall development scheme which was carried out in phases. Subsequently, CampbellReith was responsible for the structural alterations for the refurbishment and upgrade of the public facilities to Gallery 33.
Sectors: Arts & Events