CampbellReith had extensive involvement in the 2012 London Olympics: it was a supplier of structural engineering services (Olympic venues) to various parties including LOCOG, ExCeL, Earls Court, Arena Seating and GL Events.
Support and site checks / signoffs were carried out on the following temporary tiered seating installations:
- Equestrian Events, Greenwich Royal Park: 23,000 seats in 3 blocks, with extensive system modifications for circulation aisleways, ballasting calculations.
- Canoe Slalom, Lee Valley Centre: 12,000 tiered seats in 5 blocks, including monitoring and assessment of screwpile foundations.
- Hockey Arena, Olympic Park: 16,000 tiered seats in 4 linked blocks.
- BMX, Olympic Park: 6,000 tiered seats in 2 blocks on screwpile foundations.
- Rowing, Eton Dorney: 20,000 tiered seats in 4 blocks.
- Hyde Park: 3,000 tiered seats, scaffold platforms and towers.
- Volleyball, Earls Court: 15,000 tiered seats in 4 blocks.
- Archery, Lords Cricket Ground: 6,500 tiered seats in 2 blocks.
- Shooting, Royal Artillery Barracks: 7,500 tiered seats in 5 blocks.
- Boxing/Weightlifting/Table Tennis, Excel: 25,000 tiered arena seats in 3 separate indoor arenas.
- Beach Volleyball Arena, Horse Guards Parade / The Mall: 15,000 tiered arena seats in 4 blocks.
In addition, the practice undertook site specific wind calculations and ballast assessments for numerous marque installations at over 27 competition and training venues. Checks also included lighting towers and gantry bridge structures.
Sectors: Sports & Leisure