The Earls Court Exhibition Centre building was rebuilt and completed in 1937, and used to provide 42,000 m2 of exhibition floor space on two floors, with seating for up to 23,000 people. The building was supported on massive reinforced concrete portal frames, spanning over the District Line rail tracks which passes beneath the site.
In 1991 the complex was extended with the completion of Earls Court 2, which added a further 17,000 m2 of exhibition space. CampbellReith has acted as retained Structural Consultants to Earls Court Ltd since 1992. Services provided have included a complex re-analysis of the original roof structure. Other completed projects include new warehouse catering facilities in the basement level, new £2m media centre, new access ramps, new office levels and numerous structural alterations.
CampbellReith has been advising CAPCO on the proposals to demolish the existing buildings: its has compiled the demolition specification and assisted in the selection of the contractor.
After years of use, it was decided to demolish the exhibition centre as part of the area masterplan. CampbellReith was appointed to provide independent vetting of the Demolition Contractors proposals and to assist the Demolition Team and Masterplan team in gaining NWR and LUL approvals. Our engineers’ extensive knowledge of the existing buildings and the management of archive records have greatly assisted in this process.
More information about the new Earls Court development here.
Sectors: Arts & Events