Devonport Properties Limited
John Robertson Architects (JRA)
CampbellReith provided engineering services for the refurbishment and vertical extension of Walsingham House, an existing eight-storey building situated in the Trinity Square Conservation Area.
CampbellReith was appointed on behalf of Devonport Properties Limited to provide structural, civil and geotechnical engineering services for the above project.
The existing building is a 1920’s steel framed structure, formed with riveted compound sections that are either concrete encased or built into the masonry walls. The floors are constructed with insitu concrete and clay hollow pots, supported on a lattice of concrete encased beams.
The proposal involved demolishing the central light well and replacing it with a new reinforced concrete core and metal deck slab infill. The existing eighth-floor slab is to be demolished and replaced, and two additional floors are to be added above.
CampbellReith has designed the new structural frame to ensure that most of the new load from the additional storeys is supported on new piled foundations.
This significantly reduced the amount of underpinning/ strengthening required to the existing pad foundations/ columns. Metal deck slabs ensure lightweight construction and cellular beams provide flexibility for the distribution of mechanical and electrical services.