CampbellReith had extensive involvement in the 2012 London Olympics: it was a supplier of structural engineering services (Olympic venues) to various parties including LOCOG, ExCeL, Earls Court, Arena Seating and GL Events.
Support and site checks / signoffs were carried out on the following temporary tiered seating installations:
- Equestrian Events, Greenwich Royal Park: 23,000 seats in 3 blocks, with extensive system modifications for circulation aisleways, ballasting calculations.
- Canoe Slalom, Lee Valley Centre: 12,000 tiered seats in 5 blocks, including monitoring and assessment of screwpile foundations.
- Hockey Arena, Olympic Park: 16,000 tiered seats in 4 linked blocks.
- BMX, Olympic Park: 6,000 tiered seats in 2 blocks on screwpile foundations.
- Rowing, Eton Dorney: 20,000 tiered seats in 4 blocks.
- Hyde Park: 3,000 tiered seats, scaffold platforms and towers.
- Volleyball, Earls Court: 15,000 tiered seats in 4 blocks.
- Archery, Lords Cricket Ground: 6,500 tiered seats in 2 blocks.
- Shooting, Royal Artillery Barracks: 7,500 tiered seats in 5 blocks.
- Boxing/Weightlifting/Table Tennis, Excel: 25,000 tiered arena seats in 3 separate indoor arenas.
- Beach Volleyball Arena, Horse Guards Parade / The Mall: 15,000 tiered arena seats in 4 blocks.
In addition, the practice undertook site specific wind calculations and ballast assessments for numerous marque installations at over 27 competition and training venues. Checks also included lighting towers and gantry bridge structures.