The Fitzwilliam Museum was created in 1816 when Richard, 7th Viscount Fitzwilliam bequeathed to the University of Cambridge his works of art and his library, together with funds to house them, with only one stated aim: “the increase of learning”.
Opened in 1848 the original building was extended over the years, with the Marlay wing being added in the 1920s, further galleries between 1931 and 1936 and finally a new southern wing which was constructed in 1975 and incorporates the Adeane Gallery for temporary exhibitions.
The Courtyard Development project cost £12m. It was designed to transform a redundant courtyard which was inaccessible from the ground floor galleries into a light and airy space.
The new structure adds education rooms, a new gallery for temporary exhibitions, and a ground floor area with sufficient flexibility to accommodate a variety of activities, including talks and concerts.
CampbellReith provided structural engineering service for this project.
Sectors: Arts & Events